We get asked time and again about how to care for your jewelry in the best way.
Here are a few basic tips:
- Apply your makeup and perfume before putting on your jewelry. This will keep them cleaner and reduce the amount of chemicals that come in direct contact with your item.
- Take off your rings before you apply hand and body creams.
- Wipe your jewelry with a soft, damp cloth immediately after wearing them. Allow them to air dry before putting them away.
- Never clean your jewelry with harsh detergents or any form of chemicals, especially those containing ammonia. There are specialized jewelry cleaning products available, but always check product labels to know if they are suitable for your kind of jewelry.
- Don’t store your pearls with other jewelry, because they can be scratched easily when metal or gemstones rub against them. Find a special slot in your jewelry box for pearls, or keep them in a soft bag.
- Your handcrafted jewelry should be checked by a professional and restrung periodically so that the cord holding them is in good condition and you don’t lose any of your beads.
This is not an exhaustive list of dos-and-don’ts on how to care for your jewelry but these quick tips will help you keep your jewelry pieces well so they can serve you for years.